Our Signature West Coast WorkshopBelow is all the information you will need to help you prepare for your 5 night trip to Fox Glacier.
There is no set itinerary due to the changeable nature of the area so locations will be decided upon as we go.
What the fees cover:
- DOC fees and concessions.
- Tuition from us.
- Min 3 star accommodation twin/triple share.
- Photoshop, Lightroom and other editing software.
- Plus much much more!
Where will we go?:
- Helihike on Fox Glacier, adventure through Ice Caves, walk on an alien like landscape.
- Lake Matheson for sunrise, sunset and stars.
- Gillespies beach – a true gem of the West Coast.
- Bruce bay, see the mysterious ancient Rimu forest!
- Day trip to Jacksons bay and the Arawhata River.
- Magical misty Lake Mapourika, under stars or sunlight, either way is amazing.
- Fox Glacier Valley: creeks, Fox river, Fox Glacier, waterfalls and mountains.
- Franz Josef Valley: mountains, Waiho River, Glacier, chamois (sometimes), waterfalls, lake mapourika.
- Plus much much more!
What to bring
- Notebook and pen.
- Good walking shoes/boots.
- Raincoat and wet weather gear.
- Warm gear: beanie, gloves thermals etc.
- Plenty of layers.
- Sunglasses – a must for on the snow.
- Long sleeved clothing or you’ll be taken away by the sandflies!
- Insect repellent.
- DSLR camera.
- Tripod (a must for astrophotography!).
- Laptop loaded with Lightroom and Photoshop (download a free 1 month trial before you leave home!).
- Battery charger and extra batteries.
- Memory cards - at least 32gb.
- Lens warmers.
- Antihistamine cream or pills.
- Snacks, meals and drinks, as these are not provided, but can be purchased in Fox.
PRICES DO NOT INCLUDE MEALS OR DRINKS.
Whilst we usually experience great weather, there is always a chance of rain on the West Coast! We will keep an eye on the weather and if it looks like we will be rained out for the entire workshop, then we will postpone/cancel with a full refund. If we decide to go ahead and still experience some rain, we won’t refund the course fees, but will endeavour to alter the itinerary to accommodate the weather, using wet periods to edit photos.
Terms and Conditions:
We need a minimum of 2 and a maximum of 6 to keep the group manageable and to ensure that each person
gets plenty of one on one time. 15% deposit ($524.85) to be made on booking (non-refundable) with balance owing 1 week before commencement of the course. We will not hold a place without payment. If WE cancel the trip (eg. weather conditions or lack of numbers), we will either: 1. offer another set of dates or 2. refund 100% of your payment. If YOU cancel your booking, then we will refund your payment less the deposit ($524.85).
You will need to make your own way to Fox Glacier, however we may be able to help you with transport from Hokitika. You will need to organise health/travel insurance to cover equipment losses and failure as we will not be held responsible for such mishaps. You need to make sure that you have a level of fitness to cover our excursions and any health problems that may prohibit such activity need to be clearly expressed at time of booking.
NB: You will need to be in Fox Glacier ready to start at 3pm on the first day where we will meet to go through what we will be covering during the workshop. Bring your notebooks, pen, and camera gear, as we will then be heading out for sunset. If you require your own room, an additional fee of $300 per night is applicable.
We look forward to meeting you and sharing our piece of the West Coast; whilst helping you to learn photography, have a fantastic experience and capture some amazing shots!